Saturday, January 15, 2011

Yuja Wang - Prokofiev Concerto No. 2 "Cadenza"

Here is an incredible clip of Yuja Wang playing the cadenza from Prokofiev's second piano concerto. I have a penchant for the grotesque when it comes to piano concertos and I've yet to hear anything more colossal than this cadenza. I've been stuck on this video for at least a week's time now, so I had no choice but to post it. The arpeggios at 3:05 are just killer and although they escape the highest register of a 24 fret guitar I'm trying to transcribe the section. At worst I will attempt to use the progression and capture the spirit while staying in the boundaries of the instrument. Check out the Horacio Gutierrez audio recording as well, as it's considered among the best for the Op. 16 concerto.

No comments:

Post a Comment